Wednesday, November 5, 2008

But Never Silence

the thumbtack cuts little slits in my fingertips
and so i leave lovely little fingerprints
in every little thing I brush against

wouldn't you think i'd bandage it?
wouldn't you think i'd handle it?

Pin the notice to the wall, white striped wallpaper,
like theses in a church door, staring your way, sir,
Waiting for your look, waiting for protest or favor,

the thumbtack, clear and all but innocent
serves its purpose as i slowly push it in
securing my petition to the wall for all to see it

i'm not gonna put my hand down
i'm not gonna put my hand down
sir, i'm not gonna put my hand down this time

first, i will not be silent
i will not be quiet anymore,
next, i will entice every blade of grass to sing
and only then i'll concede you may be listening,
sir, this is a position worth dying for,
and i will not be quiet anymore.

No comments: