Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jailbreaker

One morning when the sun was just above the horizon,
these two guys and I found ourselves finally outside -
heads popping from a tunnel a year and a half long,
dirt disposed of bit by bit so nothing appeared wrong.

I gotta breathe freedom deep
Feel it inflate my chest that's been so compressed;
oh prisoners, it's about time we left.

One evening when the sun was just upon the horizon,
these two dogs came in through the window near where I was lyin' -
teeth bared and gnashing hoping I fly for freedom
and the jailer hopes my flesh and blood'll feed them.

I gotta breathe freedom deep
I've been slave to my sins so long I forget
what its like to take a free breath.

And now they wanna take me back.
Well they can forget that.
Officer, I am a new man. I'm changed.
And sir, you cannot take me away.
I'm safe.

No comments: